Monday 25 February 2013

Planning my outcome piece

My outcome piece ended up taking so long to plan. I sketched out a lot of different compositional ideas on different shaped canvases, including various aspects of each of the elements. I had no idea where to start so thought I'd sketch a potential separate composition for each of the four elements and then start to see how I could bring it all together.

Initial 4 composition ideas
I included various aspects for each of the elements and then also looked at how I could include pattern. Following this I did some more sketches, inspired by some of my mural research, that tried to link all of the elements together, but ended up over-complicating things as can be seen in the images below.


Composition ideas

Further composition ideas
Idea of incorporating all the elements into the fairy's wing

Idea incorporating all the elements - too busy
Once I'd done all these sketches I could see that the ideas weren't really that successful. My favourite idea of these was incorporating the elements into the fairy's wing but my tutor suggested I looked back at the compositions I'd used for my initial mythical research sketches and use these to inspire my final outcome instead.

Using the four main images I planned to use in my final piece, which were the lion, the gnome, the fairy and the mermaid, I experimented with various layouts of these until I found one I liked.

Experimenting with layouts
I was happy with this layout idea so I went on to sketch it out and to start planning colour ideas and the materials and techniques I'd use for it.

Final compositional sketch
Initially, I was going to use oil paint so the first colour swatches I did were with oil paint. I knew it took a long time to dry but had forgotten quite how long and seeing as I would be drawing on top of the paint and adding layers over it, I needed something much more fast drying so did some further colour experiments with acrylic paint.

Oil paint colour experiments
 The oil paint colour swatches were to experiment with which colour choices I would use to represent each of the different elements and to experiment with potential background colours too. I wasn't quite happy with the background colours so used acrylic paint to do further experiments for these.

Acrylic paint colour experiments
Then using the relevant media I also added on drawings of the gnome, fairy and mermaid to see how they would word against the background colours.


No comments:

Post a Comment