Thursday 28 February 2013

Outcome - Stage III

It turned out I ended up making so many changes to my final piece after having had feedback from my tutor. She advised me that I should have used more of the unusual  and interesting techniques I'd used throughout the project so I set to work planning out how to do this. I'd thought including too many techniques would over-complicate things but I can now see that if I'm careful it can still work.

Messy Sarah
For the air section I wanted to include spray painting as that had been one of the prominent techniques I'd used for air in the rest of the project. I designed and cut out a variety of stencils of birds and butterflies, which I then spray painted on in the same colour scheme I'd used previously in this project. I'm quite messy when it comes to spray painting, and the fact that it was windy didn't really help me either so I had to paint out some of the background with white acrylic paint, where the paint had blown.

Birds and butterflies
I'd also drawn in a flame shape, which is shape of flame I'd initially planned to paint around the lion. Instead of painting straight onto the mural, I did a practice painting first on one of my previous lion drawings. For this I used oil paints over a base of melted wax candles which I'd molded to shape - a technique I've also used previously in this project.

Lion emerging from the flames
Although I liked this painting, it would've been too overpowering to go on my actual mural design so I sketched out an idea with smaller flames before adding it on to my mural, along with the wax. The way I've painted on the flames make them look more like an extension of the mane and they merge much better with the drawing style of the lion.

Lion and flames
I also painted in a smokey effect around the lion, using the spray paint that had blow into the surrounding areas, to help it blend into the air area above it.

Air and fire areas
The next thing I did was some water experiments with bleach and ink, but they didn't work so well because the surface of my mural was hardboard which was too porous and therefore too absorbent, so the ink just soaked into it and practically disappeared. The photos below show the ink before it was absorbed into the hardboard, but I didn't wash it off and it can now barely be seen on my final piece. Leaving the ink and bleach on the surface just added a little bit of an extra water-like appearance.

Water experiments
I thought drip painting would work well to enhance the appearance of the jellyfish so I did some experimenting with this technique before adding it to my mural.

Jellyfish experiments

Drip painted jellyfish on mural
Following this I planned how I could link the areas of water and air together a bit better and thought that some spray painting would work well. I drew out and cut out some stencils of starfish and combined these with some stencils of birds and butterflies I'd used previously and laid these out as a plan on my mural design before spray painting them on.

After I'd done the spray painting
Planning the spray painting














The last few changes I made were changing one of the mushrooms to a jellyfish - surprisingly enough it was the one in the water area; changing the drawing style of the mushrooms so they had a less cartoon-like style to them, which I did using conte crayons; adding in some colour to the background of the lion; and drawing in some more flowers. So my outcome piece is now FINISHED!! But I think I could maybe squeeze in one more post, so check out the next post to see my COMPLETED outcome piece!!

No comments:

Post a Comment