Thursday 21 February 2013

Rising from the Ashes

I'd used melted wax previously in my project and felt it was a clever technique with an unusual outcome so wanted to use it again when developing the element of fire. The main thing that comes to mind for me when thinking of the mythical aspects of fire is the phoenix, so I chose to do a painting of a phoenix incorporating the use of wax surface texture.

I melted the wax and spooned it out using two teaspoons and shaped it with my hands and the spoons. Following this I painted over it with oil paints to create a picture of a phoenix.

Wax underlay 

Final outcome of the phoenix painting
The problem with this painting is the markings on the background of it so I will have to find out a way to neaten this out.

EDIT: I've now gone back to this piece of work and edited it to neaten up the background. I originally planned to just paint over the marked areas but really struggled to get the colour exactly right so ended up re-painting the whole background. I think this has made it look so much better and more vibrant in contrast with its background.

Final outcome of phoenix - take two 


No comments:

Post a Comment